It is snowing lightly here and so a yummy, homemade tortilla soup was in order. It was well received by my sweetie and daughter #2. I thought I would share my recipe. I never can create the same thing twice, however, this time, I wrote it down... enjoy!
Kathleen's Tortilla Soup
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 smoked jalapenos in adobo sauce, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 (15 ounce) can rotel tomatoes
- 3 boxes organic chicken broth, I get it from Costco
- 1 cup whole corn kernels, frozen works well
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 boneless chicken breast halves, frozen
- crushed tortilla chips
- sliced avocado
- shredded sharp cheddar or jack cheese
- chopped green onions
- fresh cilantro
- In a medium stock pot, heat oil over medium heat. Saute onion, garlic and smoked jalapenos in oil until soft. Stir in chili powder, oregano, tomatoes, broth. Bring to a boil, and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Stir in frozen chicken breasts, corn, beans and cilantro. Simmer for 1-1/2 hours.
- Chicken will cook and then you can shred it. Add water if needed.
- Ladle soup into individual serving bowls, and top with crushed tortilla chips, avocado slices, cheese, cilantro and chopped green onion.